Tenant Move-out Information
- TIPS FOR MOVING OUT
- APARTMENT CLEANING INSTRUCTIONS
- DAMAGE CHARGE RATES
- SUMMER INFORMATION FOR RENEWING TENANTS
- IMPORTANT SUMMER DATES
Tips for moving out:
APARTMENT INSPECTIONS: Our staff inspects your apartment after all keys from all tenants have been returned and the apartment is completely vacant. We only inspect empty apartments.
DAMAGE DEPOSITS: Deposits are mailed 30 days after your lease end date to the address on the Damage Deposit Return Form. If you do not turn in a form, checks are sent to your permanent address and may be delayed. DAMAGE DEPOSIT REFUND ADDRESS FORM
KEYS: DO NOT LEAVE KEYS IN THE APARTMENT! Please place all of your keys in the envelope provided, making sure that your name, apartment and room number are listed correctly on the envelope, and return the envelope to our office at 119 Dryden Road. If the office is closed, place your envelope through the mail slot in our door. If you have a subtenant, you must mark the subtenant’s name on the envelope. If you do not list a sublet and do not have the proper paperwork filed with the office, we will assume that you have surrendered possession of the apartment and we will not re-issue keys to you or any subtenant. If you do not return your keys, the lock change fee is $100, $20 for each missing proximity tag, and $12 per key for other missing keys.
MAIL: If you do not fill forward your mail with the USPS (post office) or do it incorrectly, your mail will be returned to sender. www.usps.com
SPECTRUM CABLE & CABLE MODEM: www.spectrum.com. You must return your cable box & Road Runner equipment directly to Spectrum, or they will charge you for lost equipment. Do not leave any cable or Internet equipment in your apartment. We are not responsible for equipment you leave behind. Avoid a lost equipment fee by returning all cable or Internet equipment! 519 West State Street.
IRIS: There is no equipment to return; your service will automatically end.
ELECTRICITY: www.NYSEG.com or 1-800-572-1111 to schedule your Turn Off Service date. You will need to know your account number. Choose: Turn Off Service. Disconnect the Electric meter only. Select Outside Meter.
ALL LEASES: You are required to leave your electricity on until your lease ends, so you should arrange to turn off service for the end date of your lease.
JULY/AUGUST ENDING LEASES: You may be permitted to turn off service early if you move out early and do not sublet your apartment. Please contact the Rental Office for permission before doing so. You may not disconnect your service until your entire apartment vacates and turns in all keys.
ABANDONED PROPERTY: Any items left in your apartment at the end of your lease will be considered abandoned and become the property of Ithaca Renting, and you may also be charged for their removal.
APARTMENT CLEANING INSTRUCTIONS
- Dust wooden furniture, wipe out drawers.
- Vacuum sofa and chairs.
- Wash around doorknobs, wash smudges from walls.
- Vacuum all carpeting.
- Dust windowsills and blinds.
- Remove all wall hangings from surfaces being careful not to damage surfaces.
- You will be charged for damaged walls and tape marks or tears. Small push-pin holes are acceptable.
- Do not attempt to spackle damaged walls yourself.
- Scrub with appropriate cleansers: tub, sink, faucet, and toilet.
- Scrub shower door and tub thoroughly, using an appropriate non-abrasive cleanser.
- Clean mirrors using an appropriate product for glass mirrors.
- Mop or wash the linoleum floor.
- Clean the insides & outsides of cabinets, shelves and counters.
- Clean out drawers.
- Clean freezer and refrigerator compartments (do not use sharp objects to remove ice), inside and out.
- Empty ice cube trays. Leave refrigerator turned on.
- Scour and shine stove, clean oven with oven cleaner, wipe off all cleaner residue.
- Scrub sink, clean microwave.
- Mop or wash the linoleum floor.
- Throw out all trash, sort all recyclables, making sure to tag appropriately and to put out on the proper day (Center, Plaza and Court- take to garbage room). You will be charged $27 per bag for removal of trash or other items left in apartment.
- Double-check everything before you leave.
- Lock door behind you (both bedroom and apartment doors).
- Put keys in a marked envelope and return to Rental Office. If the office is closed, use the door slot.
- Once your keys are returned, you have vacated your apartment. This means you have returned the apartment to us and you no longer are allowed to return to the apartment.
- If you have a sublet, you MUST mark the envelope with your subtenant’s name and sublet dates.
Remember, any items left behind after return of keys will be considered abandoned and property of Ithaca Renting Company.
SUMMER REMINDERS FOR RENEWAL TENANTS
- All Sublets must be registered & approved at the Renting Office. No exceptions.
- Sublet Request Forms must be filled out completely and turned in at the Renting Office if you sublet or let anyone use your apartment over the summer- even if it is just for a few days and no money is exchanged.
- You are required to leave your electricity on at all times, even if you are not here.
- To save electricity while you are gone, the only thing that should remain on is your refrigerator. Be sure to turn off all lights, air conditioners, etc.
- You may arrange for auto-bill pay at www.nyseg.com for the summer months so that you don’t miss any bill payments.
If you do not pick up your mail the US Postal Service will return it to the sender. Please be sure to forward your mail to prevent this! www.usps.com
- If you are gone from your apartment for any period of time, remember to turn off lights, appliances, air conditioners, etc. Always leave the refrigerator plugged in and turned on.
- Be sure to lock your doors & windows!
- Lower mini-blinds to keep apartment cooler. Close windows to prevent rain & wind damage.
- Please let the renting office know what your summer plans are in case we need to reach you.
- During the summer it is very important to take your trash & recycling out in a timely manner. Garbage becomes smelly and attracts bugs quickly in the summer heat!
IMPORTANT SUMMER DATES
Summer Dates are important if you are planing to Sublet your apartment! It is your responsibility to confirm your lease dates and offer correct information to any potential Subtenants in your Sublet negotiations. You are not permitted to stay longer than your stated lease end date at 10:00 am of that day, and you may not move items into your apartment before your stated lease start date at noon.
Please check the University Academic Calendar for dates of classes. http://www.cornell.edu/academics/calendar/
Commencement is always held the Sunday of Memorial Day Weekend.
There are Three-Week, Eight-Week and Six-Week Summer Sessions.
The New York State Bar Exam is always the last Tuesday and Wednesday of July. JD & LLM students should plan accordingly when choosing an apartment or sublet!
International Students in various programs such as LLM and MBA may need to arrive in Ithaca early for special orientation sessions. Please contact your registrar before choosing an apartment or sublet to make sure you have enough time to move in to your apartment!
LEASE DATES- Please check your lease for your specific starting and ending dates.
ITHACA RENTING COMPANY SUMMER OFFICE HOURS
Monday-Friday: 9:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Saturday: 10:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Memorial Day (Monday, May 28) Closed.
Independence Day (Wednesday, July 4) Closed.