Tenant Move-out Information
Tips for moving out:
MOVE OUT PACKETS: Move Out Packets are distributed to each tenant before exams begin. Collegetown Plaza and Collegetown Center tenants: Packets are delivered to your mailbox in the lobby. All other tenants: Packets are delivered to each apartment and slid under the door. A key return envelope, a Damage Deposit address form, and general instructions for the love-out process.
APARTMENT INSPECTIONS: Our staff inspects your apartment after all keys from all tenants have been returned and the apartment is completely vacant. We only inspect empty apartments.
DAMAGE DEPOSITS: Deposits are mailed 30 days after your lease end date to the address on the Damage Deposit Return Form. If you do not turn in a form, checks are sent to your permanent address and may be delayed. DAMAGE DEPOSIT REFUND ADDRESS FORM
KEYS: DO NOT LEAVE KEYS IN THE APARTMENT! Please place all of your keys in the envelope provided, making sure that your name, apartment and room number are listed correctly on the envelope, and return the envelope to our office at 119 Dryden Road. If the office is closed, place your envelope through the mail slot in our door. If you have a subtenant, you must mark the subtenant’s name on the envelope. If you do not list a sublet and do not have the proper paperwork filed with the office, we will assume that you have surrendered possession of the apartment and we will not re-issue keys to you or any subtenant. If you do not return your keys, the lock change fee is $100, $20 for each missing proximity tag, and $12 per key for other missing keys.
And one final note about keys: never send keys in a regular envelope though the regular mail. These envelopes get caught in the sorting machines and either get lost entirely or even arrive with a huge tear and the keys missing. Keys should only be sent in a padded envelope or small box.
MAIL: Your Damage Deposit address form DOES NOT FORWARD YOUR MAIL. That form is used by the accounting department to mail your refund check only. If you do not fill forward your mail with the USPS (post office) or do it incorrectly, your mail will be returned to sender. www.usps.com
SPECTRUM CABLE & CABLE MODEM: www.spectrum.com. You must return your cable box & Road Runner equipment directly to Spectrum, or they will charge you for lost equipment. Do not leave any cable or Internet equipment in your apartment. We are not responsible for equipment you leave behind. Avoid a lost equipment fee by returning all cable or Internet equipment! 519 West State Street.
IRIS: There is no equipment to return; your service will automatically end.
ELECTRICITY: www.NYSEG.com or 1-800-572-1111 to schedule your Turn Off Service date. You will need to know your account number. Choose: Turn Off Service. Disconnect the Electric meter only. Select Outside Meter.
ALL LEASES: You are required to leave your electricity on until your lease ends, so you should arrange to turn off service for the end date of your lease.
JULY/AUGUST ENDING LEASES: You may be permitted to turn off service early if you move out early and do not sublet your apartment. Please contact the Rental Office for permission before doing so. You may not disconnect your service until your entire apartment vacates and turns in all keys.
ABANDONED PROPERTY: Any items left in your apartment at the end of your lease will be considered abandoned and become the property of Ithaca Renting. You may also be charged for their removal and disposal.
Apartment Cleaning Instructions:
- Dust wooden furniture, wipe out drawers.
- Vacuum sofa and chairs.
- Wash around doorknobs, wash smudges from walls.
- Vacuum all carpeting.
- Dust windowsills and blinds.
- Remove all wall hangings from surfaces being careful not to damage surfaces.
- You will be charged for damaged walls and tape marks or tears. Small push-pin holes are acceptable.
- Do not attempt to spackle damaged walls yourself.
- Scrub with appropriate cleansers: tub, sink, faucet, and toilet.
- Scrub shower door and tub thoroughly, using an appropriate non-abrasive cleanser.
- Clean mirrors using an appropriate product for glass mirrors.
- Mop or wash the linoleum floor.
- Clean the insides & outsides of cabinets, shelves and counters.
- Clean out drawers.
- Clean freezer and refrigerator compartments (do not use sharp objects to remove ice), inside and out.
- Empty ice cube trays. Leave refrigerator turned on.
- Scour and shine stove, clean oven with oven cleaner, wipe off all cleaner residue.
- Scrub sink, clean microwave.
- Mop or wash the linoleum floor.
- Throw out all trash, sort all recyclables, making sure to tag appropriately and to put out on the proper day (Center, Plaza and Court- take to garbage room). You will be charged $30 per bag for removal of trash or other items left in apartment.
- Double-check everything before you leave.
- Lock door behind you (both bedroom and apartment doors).
- Put keys in a marked envelope and return to Rental Office. If the office is closed, use the door slot.
- Once your keys are returned, you have vacated your apartment. This means you have returned the apartment to us and you no longer are allowed to return to the apartment.
- If you have a sublet, you MUST mark the envelope with your subtenant’s name and sublet dates.
Remember, any items left behind after return of keys will be considered abandoned and property of Ithaca Renting Company.
Damage Charge Rates:
FLAT RATE DAMAGE CHARGES: The Tenant has acknowledged in the Lease that should he or she fail to move out of the apartment at Lease end or should he or she cause damage to the apartment or any of the Landlord’s furniture in the apartment, or shall the Tenant fail to return the apartment and the furniture therein in the condition required by
the Lease, that it would be very difficult and burdensome to calculate a dollar amount for the damage suffered by the Landlord. Therefore, the Landlord has proposed and the Tenant has accepted the following flat rate charges for cleaning, repairs and replacements. The Tenant agrees to pay these flat rate charges and further agrees that these charges are reasonable in amount.
|Dirty Kitchen||$100||Dirty Bathroom||$90|
|General Cleaning||$30 per room/hall||Steam Cleaning Excessively Dirty Carpets||$100 per room/hall|
(includes disposal fees)
|$30 per bag||Hauling/Disposal of bulky items furniture/boxes/any large items||$50 per item|
MISCELLANEOUS REPAIRS: Includes removal/disposal of damaged item, installation of new item, clean-up.
|Carpet replacement due to burns/damages||$500 per bedroom/hall $700 per living room||Replace Broken Mirror||$150 each|
|Replacement of damaged interior door||$400||Replacement of range burner pans||$30/set|
|Replacement of damaged entrance door||$1,000||Repair/replace interior door hardware||$95|
|Repair of split door jambs||$200||Repair/replace entrance door hardware||$275|
|Wall painting||$100 per wall/ceiling||Repair wall damage from tape or residue||$160 per wall|
|Wall painting, maximum per room or hall||$350||Repair holes in wall up to 10sq. in.||$50 each|
|Repair/replace damaged/missing window screens:||
|Replace broken window glass:
One on a headrail
Two on a headrail
|Replace sheet vinyl floor cover (kitchen/bath)||$500|
FURNITURE (missing or damaged): Includes removal/disposal of damaged item, installation of new item.
|Sofa||$1,200||Coffee table or end table||$300|
|Easy chair||$750||Dining/desk chair or barstool||$200|
|Desk/dining chair cushions||$75|
APPLIANCES AND FIXTURES (missing/ damaged): Includes removal/disposal of damaged item, installation of new item.
|Stove/oven||$530||Refrigerator, under 10 cubic feet||$620|
|Dishwasher||$595||Refrigerator, over 10 cubic feet||$790|
|Toilet||$600||Air conditioner cover||$85|
|Towel Bar||$50||Toilet Paper holder||$30|
|Tub/shower||$950||Light fixture, normal incandescent||$75|
|Light fixture, standard fluorescent||$130||Light fixture, special||$150 and up|
|Repairs to appliances, fixtures or furniture||Actual cost + 25%||Cupboard doors/countertops||Actual cost + 25%|
|Large screen TV||Actual cost + 25%||Replace smoke or carbon monoxide alarm||$75|
RENT AND OTHER CHARGES:
|Unpaid rent||Actual amount + 10% late fee||Returned check fee||$35|
|Miscellaneous charges fee||Actual amount + 10% fee||City fines or fees||Actual amount + $25|
|After Hours Lock Outs||$75 per incident||Retrieve keys from elevator shaft||$40|
(keys lost/not returned)
|$100 per Lock
(includes key cuts)
|Proximity reader entry tag||$20|
|Extermination fees||Actual amount + $25|
|Miscellaneous spare keys||$15 per key|
|Review CCTV footage||$50/hour, minimum 1 hour||Smoking violation||$250 per incident, plus cleaning/ damage fees|
Any Tenant who has not vacated the premises by the end of the Lease is subject to the following fees: $20 per hour up to $200 on the first day, and $200 per day thereafter. In addition, the Tenant shall be liable to the Landlord for the Landlord’s reasonable costs and attorneys’ fees if it is necessary to commence legal proceedings to remove the Tenant
from the apartment. Normal wear and tear is exempt from repair cost. The rates listed are used to calculate any repair/replacement
cost only if required. Any portion up to the full amount stated per item may be charged based on the evaluation of the Landlord’s agent. You are required to fill out and return Move-In Inspection form issued upon arrival to note the condition of your apartment when you take possession.
Ithaca Renting Company returns the unused portion of damage deposits by mail within thirty days after the Lease end date, in the form of a check payable to the Tenant. Checks cannot be issued to parents or other third parties. Refunds are made by check only.
Summer Reminders for Renewal Tenants:
- All Sublets must be registered & approved at the Renting Office. No exceptions.
- Sublet Request Forms must be filled out completely and turned in at the Renting Office if you sublet or let anyone use your apartment over the summer- even if no money is exchanged.
- Short-term sublets of less than one month, graduation weekend rentals, and Air BNBs are not permitted.
- You are required to leave your electricity on at all times, even if you are not here.
- To save electricity while you are gone, the only thing that should remain on is your refrigerator. Be sure to turn off all lights, air conditioners, etc.
- You may arrange for auto-bill pay at www.nyseg.com for the summer months so that you don’t miss any bill payments.
If you do not pick up your mail the US Postal Service will return it to the sender. Please be sure to forward your mail to prevent this! www.usps.com
- If you are gone from your apartment for any period of time, remember to turn off lights, appliances, air conditioners, etc. Always leave the refrigerator plugged in and turned on.
- Be sure to lock your doors & windows!
- Lower mini-blinds to keep apartment cooler. Close windows to prevent rain & wind damage.
- Please let the renting office know what your summer plans are in case we need to reach you.
- During the summer it is very important to take your trash & recycling out in a timely manner. Garbage becomes smelly and attracts bugs quickly in the summer heat!
Important Summer Dates:
Summer Dates are important if you are planing to Sublet your apartment! It is your responsibility to confirm your lease dates and offer correct information to any potential Subtenants in your Sublet negotiations. You are not permitted to stay longer than your stated lease end date at 10:00 am of that day, and you may not move items into your apartment before your stated lease start date at noon.
Please check the University Academic Calendar for dates of classes. http://www.cornell.edu/academics/calendar/
Commencement is always held the Sunday of Memorial Day Weekend.
There are Three-Week, Eight-Week and Six-Week Summer Sessions.
The New York State Bar Exam is always the last Tuesday and Wednesday of July. JD & LLM students should plan accordingly when choosing an apartment or sublet!
International Students in various programs such as LLM and MBA may need to arrive in Ithaca early for special orientation sessions. Please contact your registrar before choosing an apartment or sublet to make sure you have enough time to move in to your apartment!
LEASE DATES- Please check your lease for your specific starting and ending dates.
ITHACA RENTING COMPANY SUMMER OFFICE HOURS
Monday-Friday: 9:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Saturday: 10:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Memorial Day (Monday, May 27) Closed.
Independence Day (Thursday, July 4) Closed.