HOW TO FIND A SUBTENANT:
· Each Tenant is responsible for setting a price and negotiating for the sublet.
You may sublet for any full academic term during your lease-summer, spring or fall semester. We do not allow Graduation Weekend or Winter Break sublets.
· You are responsible for finding your own Subtenant. Ithaca Renting does not provide sublet listings.
· To secure a Subtenant, you should list your apartment or room in as many locations as possible, including Cornell Off Campus Living or their Off Campus Housing Office. You should also tell your friends that you are looking for a Subtenant and post to any e-mail lists or groups that you are on, and try http://ithaca.craigslist.org/ Craig’s List is known for scams- please verify that your potential sublet is a Cornell Student by looking up their Cornell e-mail address in the Cornell Directory http://www.cornell.edu/search/, and do not respond to messages that seem fake or ask you to deposit a check and send some money back to the sender. These are scams.
· When you list a sublet, make sure that your phone number and e-mail are listed correctly and leave an appropriate message on your voice mail. Be sure you know the exact dates your sublet is available! Extensions or early entry to apartments are not permitted.
Ithaca Renting cannot make any predictions for the amount that you will receive for a sublet or when you will find a sublet, but we estimate that a summer sublet will range from 1/2 to 2/3 of your monthly rent. Typically a fall or spring semester sublet pays 5 months of rent at your full rent price. Summer sublet prices vary greatly. The best time to start trying to find a summer sublet is right after spring break for that summer. For school year sublets, you should list your availability as soon as you know you need a sublet. There are generally more Spring sublets available than Fall sublets due to current patterns for students studying abroad.
· Incoming Tenants: we are not able to assist with apartment showings. Floor plans and some photos can be found on this web site, and we encourage you to link to any of our pages or photos in your sublet listings.
AirBNB and short term sublets are NOT PERMITTED.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO CONSIDER:
Your sublet should be a Cornell Student. We will also approve summer sublets who are Graduate Students at other universities. We will not approve: Ithaca College Students, High School Students or non-students. We will not approve any sublet from a person that we belive may be a risk to you. Our strict rules are in order to protect your Damage Deposit and good standing as a Tenant. A bad sublet reflects on your lease record.
· Each Tenant may sublet his or her own room only. Please discuss any sublet possibilities with your roommates and take their wishes into consideration before formalizing any agreements. All Tenants named on the lease will have to give their consent in writing on the sublet form for any potential sublet.
· The Tenant’s Damage Deposit will remain in effect for the entire term of the lease, and the Tenant is responsible for securing a Damage Deposit from the Subtenant. You are ultimately responsible for any physical or financial damages that your Subtenant may cause. The Tenant assumes all risk for the actions of the Subtenant, so it is important to conduct your sublet as a business transaction and not a casual agreement.
· The Tenant and Subtenant are responsible for arranging the specifics of the sublet: amount of rent and payment terms for the sublet, key pickup and return, utility payments and other details.
· Ithaca Renting Company does not provide any cleaning services between sublets. Once your lease starts, the upkeep of your apartment is your responsibility.
· Subtenants are never permitted to re-sublet their room or apartment. Only Tenants may sublet.
· Please remember that NO PETS are allowed in any Ithaca Renting apartment. Not even for a visit!
You may not exceed the maximum number of tenants allowed in your apartment for a sublet. Studio and one bedroom apartments are for one person only. This is strictly enforced. Each bedroom is for one person only. For example, a two bedroom apartment may have a maximum of two people living in it at any time. This may be 2 tenants, 2 subtenants, or 1 tenant and 1 subtenant.
You are responsible for transferring keys to your subtenant.
HOW TO GET YOUR SUBLET AUTHORIZED:
1. Please use the Sublet Request Form. Blank forms are available at the Rental Office- please stop by to pick one up if you need a copy.
2. You must have your sublet authorized by Ithaca Renting Company.
3. Group apartments: all roommates will need to consent to the sublet in writing on the Sublet Consent Form. You should have this done prior to bringing your completed form to the rental office. If you pre-consented to Sublets at your lease signing, your roommates do not need to sign the Sublet Form. Refer to your lease to see if you have done this.
4. We will authorize your sublet only if all details of your lease are followed: all rents paid, all signatures required on file and all parents’ Lease Guarantees received.
5. Ithaca Renting Company may refuse to authorize your sublet if we are able to determine that the sublet is a potential risk to you the tenant. Permission to sublet will not be unreasonably withheld.
Any sublet is at your own risk. The Landlord does not assume responsibility for any problems that may occur during or as a result of your sublet. For summer sublets especially: be sure that you are careful in evaluating the benefits and risks of subletting your apartment before you sublet! We do not allow subletting to anyone other than Cornell students.